Mississippi Car Wreck Attorneys Explain What to Do After a Car Accident
Pascagoula personal injury lawyers advise on protecting your health and safety as well as your legal interests
When you are in an automobile accident, the shock can make it difficult to think about what to do next. At Cumbest, Cumbest, Hunter & McCormick, we believe that knowing the proper course of action in advance can help you avoid making mistakes that could affect your health as well as your prospects for recovering monetary compensation.
Steps to take when you’re in a car accident
There are several things you should do immediately after a crash or as soon as you reasonably can, whether or not you are hurt:
- Call 911 — Calling the police is recommended and is in fact required if the accident results in injuries or property damage. Summoning an ambulance may also be necessary. Even in a minor accident, the police can begin an investigation and file an accident report. When the officer interviews you, answer truthfully about the facts that you know but do not speculate about the cause of the accident.
- Exchange information — No matter how slight an accident may seem, you should exchange information with the other drivers involved, including names, addresses, licenses, auto registrations and insurance coverage. This information will help your insurance adjuster and your attorney in dealing with a damages claim.
- File a police report — You are required to file an accident report within 10 days if anyone is hurt or property damage exceeds $250. If police arrive on the scene, ask about how to obtain a copy of their investigatory report.
- Take photos and/or videos — This helps document the accident scene. The images may be useful in supporting your claim.
- Find witnesses — Identify witnesses and get their contact information. But if they were involved in the accident, avoid any discussion that could later be used as an admission of fault on your part.
- Seek medical attention — Sometimes the extent of an injury isn’t readily apparent. Even if you aren’t sure you were injured, you should get yourself checked out at an emergency room or trauma center.
- Notify your insurance company — You should call your carrier as soon as you are physically able. In most cases, you can initiate your claim by telephone or email.
Finally, contact an auto accident attorney, like those at Cumbest, Cumbest, Hunter & McCormick, who will provide further guidance and assistance.
Why you should hire an attorney
Insurance companies don’t like to pay out more than they have to and they will likely lowball unrepresented parties in the claims process. Having an attorney in your corner is vastly superior to going it alone. An experienced auto accident attorney will:
- Conduct a thorough investigation of the accident and of your resulting injuries
- Negotiate firmly with insurance companies to offer substantially more in settlement
- Protect you against defense counsel seeking to assign you with blame in the accident
- Make sure your insurance claim proceeds timely and on track
- Present the evidence in the strongest light possible, both before and if necessary during trial
We will treat your case with the attention it deserves and the importance it has for you.
What to look for when you hire an attorney
Be careful to choose an attorney who is knowledgeable about Mississippi personal injury law and experienced in litigating automobile accident cases. Don’t hesitate to ask about the attorney’s track record of winning favorable settlements and jury verdicts. Our attorneys will be pleased to discuss our skills and resources and how we have put them to use in winning justice for car accident victims.
Contact a qualified law firm to represent you in your Mississippi accident case
At the law firm of Cumbest, Cumbest, Hunter & McCormick, in Pascagoula, Mississippi, we will guide you through every step of your car accident case and work towards a successful conclusion. Contact us online or call us at 866-461-1591 to schedule a confidential consultation.